Sunday, April 10, 2011

Do You Need a Pick For Ukulele?


Ukulele according to wikipedia.org is

"...a subset of the guitar family of instruments, generally with four nylon or gut strings or four courses of strings."

I just think of this as funny one. I know that there were so many types of guitars, we are familiar that guitar picks especially personalized guitar picks can be used on acoustic guitars. But, some not so guitar instrument like ukulele.

Ukulele according to research on cyberspace originated from Hawaii. I had never played an ukulele, just got this funny question that came up from.

"Do you need a pick for ukulele?"

I typed that question in google search engine and here's what I found.

From answers.com:
The traditional method for playing the ukulele is to strum or pick with the fingers of the hand and not a guitar pick. That said, there are no hard and fast rules, and a pick is not "wrong".

A pick will give a louder and sharper sound, but is not as flexible as playing with fingers (because you have more fingers than picks).

The other thing to consider is a pick can easily damage the finish of a uke (as they rarely have scratch guards on them)

From Yahoo! Answers:
Hahaha, I get this question a lot. When I got a ukulele, my friends started getting ukuleles as well. I was the only one to use a pick. It got me pretty far, but then I realized my body was starting to get very, very scratched. Check out what happened to it, It's the smaller one in this picture.
http://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac164…

So, using a plasic pick will be overall bad if you either play long enough or if you play hard. I always played really hard because I am in a band. Until I got the electric-acoustic, I had to use that pick to play loudly enough because I didn't know how to strum with my finger. Then I forced myself to learn, and I don't need a pick anymore.

However, if you really need to use a pick, invest in some felt-tipped picks. Here are the ones I use from time to time.
http://cgi.ebay.com/5-UKULELE-Guitar-Pic…

 ~~~~~~~~~~~
Below is a video of how to play an ukulele."Hey what the heck do I need to watch that video." You might ask, well you don't have to. I'm just doing this for fun...hehe... I think even not so familiar string instrument like ukulele still needed a personalized guitar picks, what you think? :)




I need more answers to this question. Can you answer the question "Do you need a pick for ukulele?"

No comments:

Post a Comment